Energy waste is a largely invisible issue despite its impact on our checkbook and the environment. Most of us, for example, aren’t aware that power plants are only 33% energy efficient and haven’t improved since the 1950s.
Technology has come a long way in 60 years, however. One important innovation is LED lighting, which dramatically lowers energy use for businesses and consumers. We could light more than 3 million homes for one year with the amount of energy saved from switching one traditional light bulb in every American home to an Energy Star LED.
Global Tech LED is at the forefront of new LED technology and energy efficiency solutions. As a LED lighting solution manufacturing company, we find better ways to save energy and money every day.
Energy waste affects us all, at work and at home. To tackle this issue, we compiled 9 shocking facts about energy waste – and why energy efficiency is so important.
- Aside from their low energy use, LEDs also contain no mercury have a much smaller environmental impact than traditional bulbs and compact fluorescent lights (CFLs).1
- Between 2011 and 2012, LED replacement bulb sales increased by 22% globally and the cost of a 60-watt equivalent LED light fell by nearly 40%. Projections estimate LEDs will account for 75% of all lighting sales by 2030.2
- The U.S. saved roughly $675 million in 2012 when 49 million LEDs were installed across the country. If the U.S. switched entirely to LED lights in the next two decades, the nation could save $250 billion, reduce electricity consumption for lighting by nearly 50%, and avoid 1,800 million metric tons of carbon emissions.3
- Vampire energy waste runs rampant in U.S. homes. When plugged in but not in use, computers, printers, mobile phone chargers, and other electronics still draw energy and can account for 10% of a home energy bill each month.4
- We also waste energy by throwing things away. Globally, we toss about 50 million tons of e-waste (old computers, TVs, stereos, and more) every year. That’s equivalent to four million double decker buses stretching to the moon at least three times! 5
- Electric power, the creation of the energy we use everyday, utilizes 39% of all energy consumed in the United States and consumes more energy than any other economic sector.6
- Conducting 100 searches on Google uses the same amount of energy as a 60-watt light bulb burning for 28 minutes. This doesn’t sound like much but with the millions of Google searches conducted every day that energy adds up quickly! 7
- We aren’t as energy efficient as we think we are. Studies showed U.S. transportation is only about 21% efficient but previously thought to be 25% efficient. Household activities, previously estimated to be 80% efficient, are actually only about 65%. 8
- Appliances continue to use about 85% of the energy it uses when it is on even when left on standby. The average household leaves about 8 appliances on standby every day. 9
It is easy to be overwhelmed by energy waste. But you can make a significant difference right now by replacing your lights with LEDs. Energy and lighting technology improves constantly and Global Tech LED is leading the charge. We specialize in LED retrofit kits and new fixtures for commercial and industrial uses, meaning we can help you update an old lighting system or install an entirely new one.
Visit Global Tech LED online today to tackle energy waste by learning more about the benefits of LED lights and our retrofit product lines.
2 Source: Energy.gov
4 Source: BreakingEnergy.com
5 Source: OVO Energy
6 Source: eia.gov